Hi! Welcome to Windmill & Protea
My name is Junette, and I’m the voice behind Windmill & Protea.
This is a blog about all things DIY, home, garden and family. I am hoping to inspire and give advice on decorating, design, DIY projects, garden design and kid’s parties to all my readers.
If you sometimes feel stuck and you’re not sure how to decorate your home, you’ve come to the right place!
We moved into our house in March 2014 and soon realised that the house needed more work than we had thought initially. Maintenance of an old house never stops, and this house still had most of the original finishes! Now we tackle a lot of DIY projects to renovate our 1970’s home.
We focus on budget-friendly updates and try to squeeze in work over weekends. I believe that with a bit of hard work and a lot of creativity, you can create a beautiful home for your family!
Let me tell you a bit about myself:
- I believe in God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and our salvation through Jesus Christ.
- I’m married to my best friend. We met at church, and I love that we share our faith.
- We have two beautiful boys; I love being a mom! (This is where the kid’s parties come in).
- We live in South Africa.
- I work full-time, and it always feels like I don’t have enough time for everything I want to do, I wish I had more time to spend with my family (and do more DIY projects)!
- I have a degree in Interior Architecture a certificate in Project Management as well as Garden Design and Interior Design. I love to study, so I see it as a hobby.
- I am a DIY fanatic and have been so my entire life.
Are you new here?
Are you new to Windmill & Protea and don’t know where to start? Allow me to point you in the right direction. And if you’re wondering about the name Windmill & Protea – I wrote a post about it here.
My Reader favourite Posts are:
- John Deere Themed Party with Free Printables. We held an awesome John Deere themed 4th birthday party for my oldest son, and I share all the free printables with you!
- How to install sheet vinyl flooring. We installed sheet vinyl flooring in our bedrooms to replace the carpets. What an easy way to update your floors – you will be surprised at how easy it is.
- How to paint a mural the easy way. If you want to paint a mural in your child’s bedroom but do not know how – this is the post for you!
- African Safari/Wild Animals Themed Party with Free Printables. Another birthday party theme with free printables.
Budget-friendly home décor and DIY Ideas
- Update your Kitchen Counters with contact paper. This is a low effort, high impact project.
- Update a small side table to look like an industrial statement piece. I love small, sad tables and transformed this one into a piece I love.
- Make and decorate jewellery trays. This will help a lot with your jewellery organisation!
- Update an outdoor planter easily with succulents. Succulent propagate themselves and are so versatile to use in any garden.
Projects near and dear to my heart:
- European Landscape Printable set. I share some gorgeous photos for you to use in your home décor.
- South African Birds Cross Stitch Patterns. I designed these beautiful patterns to use as art above our bed.
- DIY Caged pendant track light. We built our track light for our kitchen to replace the dull old fluorescent light.
- Toy cabinet refresh. This project shows you how much you can achieve with paint.
I have some pretty good free printables up for grabs. You can gain access to the printables library by subscribing to my newsletter.
I hope you enjoy this adventure with me.